The 19th has been my favourite ever since I first read it as an undergraduate, sitting at the Founders Library Main Information Desk, eyes going wide and smile growing huge at the fabulous imagery.
1. A cup of milk was offered to me
And I drank it with the sweetness of the Lord's kindness.
2. The Son is the cup,
And he who is milked is the Father;
And she who milked him is the Holy Spirit;
3. Because his breasts were full,
And it was undesirable that his milk
should be spilt without purpose,
4. The Holy Spirit opened her womb
And mixed the milk of the two breasts of the Father,
5. And gave the mixture to the world without their knowing.
And those who take [it] are in the perfection of the right hand.
6. The womb of the Virgin caught [it]
And she received conception and gave birth.
7. And the Virgin became a mother through great mercy.
8. And she laboured and bore a son without suffering pain,
Because it did not happen without purpose.
9. And she did not require a midwife
Because he delivered her.
10. As a man she bore by will,
And she bore with display,
11. And acquired [her son] with great power.
And she loved [him] with redemption,
And guarded [him] with kindness,
And showed [him] with greatness.