An Exemplar of Musical Excellence --or-- Musical Crime Against Humanity?
I just completed (I think--maybe a bit of tweaking is possible) a mix for my niece. Unfortunately, I don't think that I can give it to her until she reaches something more like the profound age of, say, five, which will be another three years. She already likes her music, and dances most enthusiastically, if not skillfully. So the goal was to make: 1) a completely upbeat song mix, appropriate and pleasing for a five year-old girl; and 2) a mix of songs that have a redeeming quality at some level: pop songs that are also great songs, so as to expose her to a wide variety of musical styles and thereby trick her at an early age into developing some actual breadth and taste.
So, those of you who have musical opinions: have I succeeded? Or have I committed unspeakable musical atrocities?
01) ABC--Jackson 5
02) You Might Think--The Cars
03) All Star--Smash Mouth
04) Twist and Shout--The Beatles
05) Do You Believe In Magic--Shaun Cassidy
06) Girls Just Want To Have Fun--Cyndi Lauper
07) Tell Her About It--Billy Joel
08) Down On The Corner--Creedence Clearwater Revival
09) Roam--The B-52s
10) Big House--Audio Adrenaline
12) (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher--Jackie Wilson
13) Soak Up the Sun--Sheryl Crow
14) Johnny B. Goode--Chuck Berry
15) I Think We're Alone Now--Tiffany
16) Linus And Lucy--Vince Guaraldi Trio
17) Yellow Submarine--The Beatles
18) In The Navy--Village People
19) I Want You Back--Jackson 5
20) Big Girls Are Best--U2
21) Higher Ground--Stevie Wonder
22) The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades--Timbuk 3